People are always looking for new ways to cut back. We’ve rounded up a few of the best hacks for around the house that are quick and easy to implement. Give these 6 tips a try!
- Invest in a power strip. The typical household owns 24 consumer electronics, yet some people don’t know that even when powered off, they are using electricity. Save about $100 per year by plugging them into a power strip, which you can switch off at the end of each day.
- Seal any gaps! Reduce your heating costs by ensuring that all windows and doorways are sealed properly. A third of your home’s heat is typically lost through drafts around doors and windows. Save an average of 15% on heating and cooling costs by filling all gaps.
- Insulate your hot water heater. You may not have thought about it before, but insulating your hot water heater can save you as much as 9% on your energy bill!
- Buy generic instead of name brands. Nowadays you have the option to buy a generic brand for almost anything. Go generic as much as possible for items like: food, toiletries, or pharmacy products. Popular brand items may look more appealing, but you are essentially buying the same products for a higher cost!
- Replace your old thermostat. New state of the art thermostats are programmable, meaning you can adjust the temperature throughout the day with different pre-set option. Using a programmable thermostat can help you cut as much as $145 a year from your energy bill!
- Match the pot to the right burner. When cooking on the stove, it’s important to use the correct size burner for your pot or pan. By doing so, you could save as much as $36 per year!
General tips are taken from the below sources and are not independently verified by North American Power. Dollar and usage savings are estimates and are based on, but not limited to the following: home profile information, performance assumptions, third-party resources, and the average regional cost for electricity. Savings are not guaranteed, are subject to change, and may vary.
Most Viewed Pages
- Where does your Power come from?
- Fall Energy Saving Tips!
- How Much Heat Does a Lamp or a Light Bulb Give Off?
- Cutting Costs Around the House
- This or That Thursday: Coffee Maker, or Toaster?
- The Four Best Things You Can do to Cut Energy Use in your Home
- National Cut Back on Energy Day!
- North American Power Wins 2016 “Excellence in Customer Service” Award
- Winter Energy Saving Tips
- What You Ought to Know About Kilowatt Hours - kWh Explained